Day 3: 22nd June, 2009

When I was working (professional life), I often had days when I knew I had some objectives/tasks to do. (Not that I claim completing any of them, but atleast there was something that could be listed). After I quit, the days had been quite empty in that sense. I just had loads of time and would fill that with some random acivity. Something like the box in the mandir which just stays the whole day and hopes someone would put a coin in it so that it could get a feel of its existence. Now, finally, after very many days, I started the day with an objective - to get my bike! :D

I actually intended to leave early in the morning to avoid the heat, but as expected could manage to leave only after breakfast at around 9-9.30. Shared an auto with a hostel mate to the city railway station. One thing about Lucknow traffic rules - none are to be followed. I had a vague idea of this concept during my journey from the airport, but my understanding was getting clearer this day. Some examples:

1. You may have 2 lane, 4 lane roads, etc but that doesn't imply that some lanes are to be used for going in one direction. It is quite a free for all system, you can go in any direction, in any lane.

2. I couldn't see too many speed breakers here. But still not many vehicles were going fast. UP govt is smart that way. The roads are made such that they will not just break your speed, but break the vehicle itself.

3. There is mutual respect amongst drivers when it comes to breaking rules. If a vehicle suddenly stops in the middle of a road to offload some goods or passengers, none of the vehicles behind even honk. They will wait for the vehicle to resume its journey, or else they will try and squeeze their vehicles from the side!

Anyways, reached Lucknow station. No offense, but there somehow seemed to be more North Indians at Lokmanya Tilak Terminus than there. Not my concern though. I didn't take much time to locate my bike. Completed the formalities and took off. My first ride in Lucknow :D . But bloody hot it was, in my 22 km journey from the station, I stopped TWICE enroute to buy a cold drink! Reached IIM L and had lunch at the mess.

In the evening, went on a small round of the campus ring road on my bike. As expected, got lost :D. Asked the security people for directions to come out of the maze. Got some glimpse of the fauna on campus though. Saw peacocks. Saw a monkey. Apparently we also have pythons, porcupines and jackals on campus... yet to come across any of them though.

Formal Induction tomorrow. slept off early.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

na na nana... na na nana....DISCOVERRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!:)

Post a Comment